Jul 5, 2010

One Huge Cutscene.



Recently I was asked to undertake the development phase of a story project that might see some life as a limited video series. Out of respect for the projects creator, I wont speak on the project in detail, but I will say that I think its a very unique and interesting one.

It was surprising to me how quickly I defaulted to game design methodology for the development of the project, and even more surprising to see how much of it actually worked out and what didn't.



In game design everything is centered around first understanding your audience, and 2nd ,constantly engaging and holding the audiences attention. I think something like that might be generally harder to achieve with this kind of project considering the lack of interactivity.

With a lack of interactivity comes an inability to easily connect the viewer to the main character.
In a video game, the player is usually given an avatar which on some level is a representation of himself. Even if its a character that comes with their own name, background and goals, etc...
even if the avatar is as least like you as possible...
In the moments that you take control of this character, For a while, His actions become your actions, and vice-vera, your actions become his.

In this project I wont have that luxury, and so I must research and experiment with various methods to get that connection that moment of perfect symmetry between the viewer and the onscreen character.

Its a challenge I look forward to meeting.

2 comments:

James Le Cuirot said...

I was quite surprised that Marna connected so well with John Marston. She doesn't usually like playing as male characters. Also, did you see that short movie they made from the game? I haven't yet but I plan to.

Johnny said...

Actually I have seen it, and I thought it was pretty disappointing to say the least.

If you still want to see it... stop reading.

I was under the impression that they were making an original short film, using existing game elements. They had even brought on some well known film director as I had heard.

Basically I was expecting a brand new and extensive cutscene featuring a small new story plot, exclusive to television screen.

But in the end, it was just the first few cutscenes of the game poorly strung together. The only thing different about them was that the language and blood content was edited out, huge parts of the story omitted, and every once in a while the cutscene would appear from a new angle.

And something about it just didn't work.

I think as a player, when you watch a cutscene, its a different experience, because the scene is either giving you motive and direction, or its rewarding you for something you've done. So its still interactive on some level.

But with the "short film," they were giving out loads of exposition, despite your not being able to do anything. It just felt all wrong.

of course, If they had gone and made a real short film that was aimed at an audience of viewers. instead of hacking one together from scenes that were aimed at an audience of players, this probably wouldn't even have been an issue.