Nov 11, 2010

And now for something different...


I'm changing the direction of the game here.

When I started the idea was to make a really sweet medieval fantasy dungeon crawler/hack n slash.
Maybe its just me...maybe I'm only aware of them because I'm making one...
(Like how everyone seems to suddenly drive the same car you drive right after you get a new one?)


But it seems like theirs a quite a bit of those games on the horizon.
and I think the last thing any good game designer wants is for their game to be dubbed a “clone”

I have 2 options...
The first option would be to continue as I have been and hope that my game has enough new features or better values features to give it an edge over the other similar games it will directly contend with.

Or

Change up the flavor of the game a bit.
Follow through with the base level gameplay concept, but really stir the pot when it comes to the look and feel of the game, and get away from that medieval motif and all of the gameplay nuances that are dictated by it, all the while discovering and embracing the new gameplay points a new style might bring to the table.

I've already chosen a new style to follow, but I'm not quite sure how to describe it, and I'm not sure I should at the moment. I will say that, those who know me well enough, probably have a good idea.

I do feel slightly hypocritical on this decision.
If I were working with a team on this I wouldn't ever consider a direction change. And if I wasn't the person calling the shots and the decision was made to make such a drastic change. I'd think it was a very poor one. Theirs things to consider like budgets and talent evaluation.

However...I'm not working with a team...its just me.
And theirs no budget, so I don't have to worry about any costs and spending.
Additionally, this time around I'm the little guy, (well littler than I had been before) and I NEED something that's going to make me stand out above the rest.

Notice theirs no image with todays post?
Thats just how different it is.

2 comments:

James Le Cuirot said...

Quake 1 was supposed to be a medieval hack 'n' slash but they ditched the idea at the last minute because it just wasn't working. Things are very different now, of course.

Johnny said...

Didnt know that...
But I guess that explains the two Knight enemies in the game(and why they shoot at you), as well as some of the level designs.

Might also explain why the story was so weak. not that it needed one, but man...it was weak.