Feb 15, 2012

Powerless

In most games the hero/player gradually gains powers/abilities as the game progresses...

I think I'd like to try a game where the hero/player gradually losses them.



I've played many a game where you start of as a helpless whelp, only to end the game with a RIDICULOUS amount of ability by the end, practically making you a god.

As cool as that is initially, some times its off putting. it takes away a lot of the challenge, danger, and suspense. and worse than that, it makes your character a lot less interesting when it comes to future options. You either take the Dragon Ball route, and create newer stronger forces that are even more powerful (that were conveniently never mentioned in the first place) and as a result keep making your character stronger right along with them.

Or you accept that your character is now a god, and limit him/her to just dicking around.

I'm not fond of either of those.


I hate superman, and that's no secret. but that hate stems from his inability to lose, or be put into any real personal danger. Theirs no "edge of your seat" with the guy, because you know he's going to win. its almost a fact.

some games like turning us into superman.

but what if a game did the opposite?
phenomenal cosmic powers right from the start, and a plot that see's the hero degrading over time, until at last you're just an average guy in terms of ability.

now thats a game I could get behind. and just might experiment with developing later on.
where most games require players to learn as they grow. this is a game that would require players to learn to Un-Learn.

3 comments:

James Le Cuirot said...

It's not quite what you meant but you did remind me of a particular line from a lengthy review of Pathologic, a game I have unfortunately yet to play.

"I don’t want to dwell on the survival, but the brilliance of this cannot be overstated. If there’s another FPS this decade that has you eagerly swapping your only gun for milk, I’ll gladly disappear up my own asshole."

In other news, I applied for a job at Square Enix today. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it's hard not to get excited about that.

Johnny said...

Best of luck.

I didn't know they had an office there. was it previously an Eidos office?

James Le Cuirot said...

I hadn't considered that but you're exactly right, it was the main Eidos office and still is in some respects as they still use the brand for some titles.

No word yet but the recruiter hasn't returned my call from this morning yet. That could be a good thing.